edge.ug
  • Home
  • News
    • Politics
    • Education & Health
    • Regional News
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Security
  • Tour & Travel
  • Sports
Sign In
  • Join US
edge.ugedge.ug
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Security
  • Tour & Travel
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Politics
    • Education & Health
    • Regional News
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Security
  • Tour & Travel
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© edge.ug. This news site is licensed by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC).
Home » Blog » Besigye treason trial resumes in his absence
NewsPoliticsSecurity

Besigye treason trial resumes in his absence

Our Reporter
Last updated: August 18, 2026 3:29 pm
Our Reporter
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

KAMPALA — The High Court in Kampala on Tuesday resumed the treason trial of opposition leader Dr Kizza Besigye and his co-accused, Hajji Obeid Lutale and Capt. Denis Oola, with Besigye absent from court following his collapse during proceedings last month.

Besigye was taken to Mulago National Referral Hospital after collapsing in the dock on July 29, 2026, shortly after the prosecution began presenting its first witness. He had protested the proceedings before collapsing, prompting the court to halt the hearing.

Reuters subsequently reported that Besigye was admitted to the intensive care unit at Mulago, citing his wife, UNAIDS Executive Director Winnie Byanyima, who said he was unconscious and unresponsive to pain stimuli following the collapse.

Byanyima was in court on Tuesday as the proceedings resumed.

In a post on X, she raised concerns about restrictions imposed on people attending the proceedings, saying court-goers had been ordered to leave their phones outside and that several people left rather than comply.

She also claimed that opposition figures Ingrid Turinawe and Doreen Nyanjura did not attend after receiving information that they could be abducted at court. Those claims have not been independently established.

Nyanjura separately criticised the restrictions on access and said the public should be able to see the proceedings.

Defence raises access and fair-hearing concerns

The proceedings have been preceded by a prolonged dispute over Besigye’s legal representation.

In July, Justice Emmanuel Baguma directed Besigye and Lutale to select lawyers from a list of advocates available under the State Brief scheme after the accused objected to proceeding without lawyers of their choice. The judge also directed that they be given access to prosecution evidence and adequate facilities to prepare their defence.

The dispute intensified after Kenyan senior counsel Martha Karua, who had been part of Besigye’s defence team, was deported from Uganda in June. Former Kampala Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago, another member of Besigye’s legal team, was subsequently charged with misprision of treason.

The defence has argued that proceeding without lawyers of the accused’s choice undermines the constitutional right to a fair hearing.

The court nevertheless cleared the way for the trial to proceed after rejecting applications seeking to halt the proceedings or refer constitutional questions for interpretation.

What Besigye is accused of

Besigye, Lutale and Capt. Oola face treason-related charges arising from allegations that they conspired with others to overthrow the Government of Uganda by force.

Prosecution allegations include meetings in Uganda and several foreign countries and attempts to organise military training and acquire weapons. The accused have denied the allegations.

Treason is a capital offence under Uganda’s Penal Code, meaning a conviction can carry the death penalty.

The prosecution began presenting evidence on July 29, with American national Andrew Wilson appearing as its first witness before Besigye’s collapse brought the proceedings to a halt.

Court proceedings continue

Justice Baguma has been overseeing the trial in the High Court’s Criminal Division.

The latest proceedings are taking place against the backdrop of continued concern over Besigye’s health and whether his medical condition permits him to participate effectively in the trial.

The court will have to address the implications of his absence while ensuring that the proceedings comply with the constitutional protections afforded to an accused person.

 

You Might Also Like

Proposal to hike MPs’ overseas medical budget raises eyebrows

Matembe tells Museveni: Uganda is not your personal property

Military mounts checkpoints in Bobi Wine manhunt

Lumumba named ICT minister, Aceng made chief whip

Museveni appoints Michael Tusiime to parliament accountability role

TAGGED:BesigyeWinnie Byanyima
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular Posts

Uganda’s U17 historical team returns home

Our Reporter
By Our Reporter
November 24, 2025
Museveni woos Iganga as he recounts liberation struggle
Tuko Pamoja, Uganda: Making of a Nation, Wins Best Documentary Award in India
Pearl Bank Named Best Bank in Agriculture and Top Fintech Partner
Havana Hosts Uganda: Parliaments Engage in Bilateral Exchange
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

LifestyleNews

Activist Agather alleges racial profiling at Amsterdam airport

4 Min Read
Education & HealthNews

Self-entitled LDC student denied clerkship over allowance demands

2 Min Read
Politics

Bobi Wine says military blocking him in Amuria

2 Min Read
Education & HealthNewsSecurity

Six school directors arrested in Kagadi

3 Min Read
edge.ug

edge.ug is a digital news network delivering instant updates from Uganda.

Contact Us

Phone: +255 703994605
Email: info@edge.ug /ugandaedge@gmail.com

- Advertisement -
Ad image

edge.ug. This news site is licensed by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC).

Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?