By SOS Media Burundi
Two corpses were discovered Wednesday around 4pm by artisanal miners from the villages of Ruhororo and Gafumbegeti (district of Mabayi, province of Cibitoke, northwest Burundi).
Residents near the border areas with Rwanda believe the two persons were part of the group that was intercepted by the Rwandan army in the night from Sunday to Monday in Bweyeye.
A Burundian military official says the same, emphasizing that there is no Burundian rebel group making incursions on the Rwandan territory.
Gold washers were leaving mining areas when they saw two decomposing bodies.
According to the local administration, the two corpses had gunshot wounds on the legs, which suggests that they were killed by Burundian soldiers while the armed gang to which they belonged tried to retreat into the natural reserve of the Kibira of Mabayi.
A soldier who was on patrol in the reserve indicates that these bodies were in advanced decomposition and that the district administration gave the order to bury them there.
Residents of Ruhororo village on the border with Bweyeye cell in Rwanda say they are worried.
They are asking for military reinforcements to ensure security in the region.
A military official in the area confirmed the information. He says he does not know the identity of the killed men.
Three other bodies, probably men who attacked the Rwandan territory in the night of May 23 to 24, were discovered on Wednesday morning in the natural forest of Kibira in the neighboring district of Bukinanyana.
Earlier this week, the Rwandan army released a statement in which it claimed to have killed two attackers from the National Liberation Front (FLN) and seized several military effects including two Burundian army outfits.
On Tuesday, the FDNB (Burundi National Defense Force) rejected allegations that the group has withdrawn to the Kibira natural reserve, where it has set up bases according to the Rwandan army.