Kampala,October 14, 2021 — Glovo, one of the world’s leading multi-category delivery players, today announced becoming an official signatory of The Climate Pledge (TCP), alongside more than 200 other businesses, making a commitment to decarbonizing and reaching net-zero by 2040 or sooner.
In September 2019, Amazon and Global Optimism co-founded TCP, a commitment to reach net-zero carbon by 2040 and meet the goals of the Paris Climate Accords 10 years ahead of schedule. As of August 2021, TCP had 115 signatories across 25 industries and 17 countries.
Following the addition of a further 85 signatories it has now reached the 200 milestone, which demonstrates a positive shift in the commitment of companies to tackle climate change.
New signatories to TCP have the opportunity to share access to technologies, best practices and innovations in supply chain enhancements. They are also able to create joint actions,collaborating with fellow signatories to address the most critical climate challenges.
Signatories to The Climate Pledge agree to:
● Measure and report greenhouse gas emissions on a regular basis;
● Implement decarbonization strategies in line with the Paris Agreement through real business changes and innovations, including efficiency improvements, renewable energy, materials reductions, and other carbon emission elimination strategies;
● Neutralize any remaining emissions with additional, quantifiable, real, permanent, and socially-beneficial offsets to achieve net zero annual carbon emissions by 2040.
Glovo has already been working to become carbon neutral across all operations by December 2021, through a combination of emission reductions initiatives and investments in carbon offset from internationally certified nature-based and technological projects, with our partners Pachama and South Pole.
This target will be achieved through three main greenhouse gases emissions mitigation programs:
1. Carbon-conscious transport: promoting bikes and electric vehicles for couriers to reduce emissions from the fleet while offsetting 100% of delivery emissions through buying carbon credits from different projects certified by international standards.
2. Sustainable packaging solutions for customers and the planet: offering sustainable packaging versus single-use plastic packaging to reduce emissions from materials.
3. Putting a stop to food waste by using its own logistics to collect surplus and leftovers from partners and donate them to NGOs through the Glovo Access programme.
Sébastien Pellion, Head of Social Impact & Sustainability of Glovo said: “It is vital for companies to come together to address climate change, which is shaping up to become one of the biggest challenges of our time. At Glovo, we have a clear roadmap to reduce our environmental footprint. Our strategy is based on three pillars: accompanying the HORECA sector in its transition towards the use of sustainable packaging, promoting low-carbon urban transport and reducing food waste. We are thrilled to be part of The Climate Pledge, and to be joining a community that will share knowledge, ideas and best practices to achieve net-zero carbon emissions long before the deadline established by the Paris Agreement. We hope to pave the way for others to follow.”
According to Saqib Munir, Country Manager of Glovo in Uganda, “Uganda like many other countries is experiencing increasing and significant impacts of climate change that have social-economic effects on people, communities and livelihoods as a result of volatile weather patterns, adverse occurrences like floods, landslides as well as erratic drops and rises in water levels.”
“At Glovo, we took the decision to be both a local and global leader in line with the TCA as well as Uganda’s National Climate Change Act 2021 which came into force in April. Glovo is committed to the cause of sustainability and will endeavour to raise the bar in Uganda as an ambassador for climate change throughout our operations.” Munir observed.
Additionally, Glovo is a part of the UN Global Compact Climate Ambition Accelerator.
Learn more about Glovo’s commitments and results from its mitigation programmes in its 2020 Social Contribution Report.