President Museveni says he received the sad news of the death of Col. Shaban Bantariza, the Deputy Government Spokesperson.
He was a dedicated cadre who worked for Uganda’s liberation and development, the president noted.
He was eloquent as he spoke for the UPDF and government.
“Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.”
Army spokesperson Brig Gen Flavia Byekwaso says Bantariza will be buried on Thursday in Kagorogoro village, Ruhinda County, Mitooma district.
It will be a scientific burial with a very limited number of mourners due to Covid19.
Profile of Col. Shaban Bantariza
Service Number: RO/06361
Col. Shaban Bantariza was born on 17 December 1955 to Mr and Mrs Atanazio Rwebakura of Kagorogoro village, Nyakasiru parish, Bitereko sub-county, Ruhinda county, Mitooma district.
• Muhangye Primary School
• St Leo’s College Kyegobe – Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE)
• Caltec Academy Makerere – Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE)
• National Teachers College – Kyambogo (1978 – 1980)
• Makerere University – Bachelor of Arts in Arts
• Uganda Management Institute – Post-Graduate Diploma in Management
He enlisted into the National Resistance Army (NRA) on 10th July 1985. Since then, he underwent several military trainings that include:
- Officer Cadet course intake 01/88 long conducted in Jinja, Uganda in 1988
- Senior Command and Staff Course conducted at Senior Command and Staff College, Kimaka, Jinja Uganda in 2005
Military Command and Staff Appointments
Over the years, Col Shaban Bantariza held several command and staff appointments. By the time of passing on, he was the Deputy Executive Director of Uganda Media Centre.
Previous command and staff appointments held include the following:
• Director/Commandant, National Leadership Institute (NALI) – Kyankwanzi (2009 – 2012)
• Commandant, Oliver Tambo Leadership School (OTLS) – Kaweweta (2008 – 2009)
• Chairman, Division Court Martial, 1 Infantry Division – Kakiri from January 2007
• Deputy Chief Political Commissariat at UPDF GHQs, Mbuya
• Defence Spokesperson, Ministry of Defence, Bombo/Mbuya (February 2002 – November 2005)
• Director of Information at UPDF GHQs, Bombo (January 1995 – January 2002)
• Administrative Officer, Anti-smuggling Unit, Uganda Revenue Authority (January 1993 – August 1994)
• Political Commissariat Instructor at Bombo Military Academy (June 1989 – December 1992)
Col. Shaban Bantariza held several ranks as listed below:
• Promoted to the rank of Col (February 2010)
• Promoted to the rank of Lt Col (21st June 2005)
• Promoted to the rank of Maj (12th March 2001)
• Promoted to the rank of Lt (29th December 1992)
• Commissioned to the rank of 2 Lt (6th February 1989)
Col Shaban Bantariza was a family man, happily married and blessed with children #RIPBantariza