In a House sitting chaired by Speaker
Rebecca Kadaga on Thursday, 24 September 2020, the Deputy Attorney General Hon. Jackson Kafuuzi, on behalf of the Internal Affairs Minister, presented a statement on the preliminary report of escape of prisoners from Moroto Prison.
In the statement, the Deputy Attorney General told Parliament that there were 687 prisoners at the time of the Moroto Prison escape, and of these, 224 prisoners escaped.
He said 16 prisoners had so far been recaptured, 7 killed in fire exchange and 201 were still at large.
The statement also indicated that Moroto Prison had a weak infrastructure, poor design and low capacity to handle the big number of prisoners.
“The carrying capacity of the prison is 197 prisoners compared to 687 who were in prison at the time of escape,” reads the report.
The statement also cited the effect of cholera and Covid-19 on staff morale after prisoners and staff tested positive.
Long pre-trial remand periods where some inmates have stayed for over five years on remand, was also cited as one of possible reasons for the prison escape.
The Deputy Attorney General said the Police and Army had been called in to re-inforce the staff, in pursuing the escapees.
Extra guns and ammunition have been provided to enhance the prisoner’s security.
Local leaders have also been involved in locating the escapees.
The statement presented a call for strengthening of the Prisons Intelligence System through restructuring, deployments, training and funding; where the Director General Internal Security Organization (DGISO) has been requested for technical support.