1 dead as Trump rioters breach Capitol in ‘failed insurrection’

By ABC News

A woman was shot and killed during a standoff inside the U.S. Capitol between law enforcement and supporters of President Donald Trump, who breached the building, forcing a lockdown with members of Congress inside.

The protesters, some of who were seen wearing body armor, made their way up the steps around 2:15 p.m. ET, pushing through barricades, officers in riot gear and other security measures put in place in anticipation of the protest.

A woman was shot inside the Capitol and rushed to the hospital, police said. The unidentified woman died later in the evening, sources tell ABC News.

It’s unclear what led to the shooting or if law enforcement was involved. Images showed officers with weapons drawn.

Rep. Markwayne Mullin, R-Ok, told ABC News Live that he saw the shooting happened and allegedly saw police shoot the woman.

Officials said they swept rooms to make sure there were no devices. The Senate resumed their session at 8 p.m., where both Vice President Mike Pence and Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell condemned the mob.

“We will not be kept out of this chamber by mobs or thugs or threats. We will not bow to lawlessness or intimidation,” McConnell said. “We are back at our posts. We will discharge our duty under the Constitution and for our nation – and we’re going to do it tonight.”

McConnell went on to call today’s event a “failed insurrection.”

After repeated calls from leaders on both sides of the aisle to call off his supporters, the president released a video message on Twitter at 4:17 p.m., telling his supporters to go home. In the same video, he continued to push baseless, false claims about the election.

“I know you’re in pain, I know you’re hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us,” he said, repeating a false claim in the 1-minute pre-recorded video. “But you have to go home now.”

Twitter removed the tweet with the video along with two other tweets. At 7 p.m. Twitter announced it locked Trump’s account for 12 hours and will continue to keep it locked until the tweets are deleted.

“Future violations of the Twitter Rules, including our Civic Integrity or Violent Threats policies, will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account,” Twitter said in a thread. Later in the night Facebook announced it would not allow Trump’s official page to post for 24 hours.

The tweet came just as Trump’s successor, President-elect Joe Biden, held a news conference to address the situation. He called on Trump to tell his supporters to stop.

“This is not dissent, it’s disorder. It’s chaos. It borders on sedition. And it must end now. I call on this mob to pull back and allow the work of democracy to go forward.

The entire D.C. National Guard has been activated to help, and several other law enforcement groups, including the Federal Protective Service, Secret Service, Virginia National Guard, and Arlington, Virginia, Police Department, are responding to assist the U.S. Capitol Police.

McEnany said around 3:40 p.m., the National Guard was on its way. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi requested the National Guard’s help to secure the Capitol, according to a source.

The clashes began as Trump and his allies held a rally earlier in the day pushing the Senate to not certify the election for President-elect Joe Biden.

Once inside the Capitol, protesters moved freely and shouted chants while waving “Trump 2020” flags. One person was seen waving the Confederate flag inside the building.

“Due to the violent behavior towards the police officers there and their intent on gaining access to the Capitol, a riot was declared,” D.C. Metro Police Chief Robert Conte told reporters at a news conference.

According to reports, at least one protester was in the dais of the Senate chamber and some were going door to door demanding, “Where the f— are they?” They were also banging on the doors, according to reports.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *