Museveni visits family of ex-president Paulo Muwanga

Museveni and Mama Zawedde

President Museveni over the weekend visited the Late Paulo Muwanga’s family in Kololo, Kampala.

He had a lively discussion with the family matriarch, Mama Catherine Zawedde Muwanga.

“I thank her for the invitation and hospitality,” he said.

Paulo Muwanga was a Ugandan politician who served briefly as de facto president, and later as prime minister, of Uganda.

Victoria University


Muwanga was born in Uganda. He joined the East African Posts and Telecommunications Administration (1943–50) before entering politics in 1950.

He served as a member of Parliament from 1962 to 1964, before becoming ambassador to Egypt (1964–70) and France (1970–72).

He was then in exile in England from 1972 to 1978, before returning to fight in the Uganda–Tanzania War (1978–9).

He served briefly as minister of internal affairs, first under Yusuf Lule and then under Godfrey Binaisa.

 Binaisa attempted to have Muwanga demoted to an ambassador in February 1980, but Muwanga appealed directly to the National Consultative Commission.

He was reappointed, this time as minister of labour, the same month, and held that position until May 1980.

On 12 May 1980, the army overthrew Binaisa and installed a six-man Military Commission headed by Muwanga.

The commission was the de facto president of Uganda for a few days until the establishment of the Presidential Commission of Uganda.

That commission, with Muwanga as chairman, held the powers of the president of Uganda between 22 May and 15 December 1980.

Following the elections held on 10 December 1980, Muwanga installed himself as the head of the Electoral Commission and declared Milton Obote’s Uganda People’s Congress the winner.

The election results were contested, leading Yoweri Museveni to undertake a guerilla war in protest.

Between 1980 and 1985, he served as Vice President of Uganda and minister of defence under Obote.

He was briefly prime minister of Uganda (July[2] or 1 August[citation needed] – 25 August 1985) under President Tito Okello, before being succeeded by Abraham Waligo.

He was arrested in October 1986, acquitted in 1988, and detained again 1989–90.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here