Government has commenced rehabilitation of the transport terminal known as the Old Taxi Park and has contracted companies (Stirling Civil Engineering Ltd and Kiru General Services Ltd) to commence the works.
The scope of work will include excavation and disposal of the existing material, installation of underground drainage lines, rock fill, construction of new foundation layers for the carpet and surfacing of the constructed layers with asphalt concrete (tarmac).
The new carpet will have markings to delineate areas for parking and for taxi and pedestrian movements.
The boundaries of the Park will be retained properly to prevent mud from washing onto the carpet as has been the case.
There will be lighting and some waiting sheds for passengers.
The park will have designated entry and exit points for both vehicles and pedestrians and will have access control for vehicles to avoid queuing on the surrounding roads and congestion within the Park.
The Park will also have sanitary facilities such as toilets, an administration block and a Police Post.
In case the lockdown ends before the works are completed, KCCA shall provide alternative parking areas for the taxis as was with the construction of the New Taxi Park.
Kampala Minister Betty Amongi appealed to the public to bear with them for the short-lived inconvenience the works may cause.
She called upon all leaders, Taxis and Boda Boda operators and all stakeholders to remain calm as they continue with consultations.
Measures to regulate Public Transport in Kampala
1. Registering Boda Bodas and Taxis operating in the City and creating a digital data base by KCCA for records of those operating in the City.
2. Gazetting Parks, stages, routes and stops for taxis and Boda Bodas. In the case of Taxis, we have so far gazetted 66 Stages including Parks and 137 routes while for Boda Bodas, we have mapped out 970 stages and proposed Gazetting 585 in the five Divisions in the first phase.
3. Introducing route numbers and rout colors for all the taxis to enhance order in the business.
4. Introducing Identification of drivers/riders which shall include uniforms and badges for easy identification and tracking for both COVID related tracing and controlling crime;
5. Introducing scheduled Bus services within circular routes of Boda Boda free Zone within the Central Business District (CBD). 6. Supporting Boda Boda riders that are not registered with digital Companies/Associations to either join existing ones, form new Associations or register on their own as individual riders; and
7. Implementation is to be done in close collaboration with the leaders of the Stages/Parks.