The Civil Division of the High Court has stayed the release of the Ushs 10bn to MPs until the hearing of the application challenging it which is scheduled for 29th April.
Ntungamo Municipality MP, Gerald Karuhanga and Erute South legislator Jonathan Odur petitioned court seeking to halt the Parliamentary Commission from paying Shs10bn to MPs to fight Covid-19.
According to them, Parliament breached the parliamentary rules of procedure in passing the Shs10bn.
They say the money was just smuggled into the report by the budget committee chairperson Amos Lugoloobi without the consent of the committee members.
Each MP is expected to get Shs20m from this money which was part of the Shs304bn supplementary budget passed on April 4.
Karuhanga and Odur say the Shs10bn was deducted from the Health supplementary budget that was to be used in the fight against Covid-19.
The case is before Justice Esta Nambayo.
Close to 17,000 people have signed an online petition challenging the allocation of Shs10 billion to members of Parliament (MPs), to fight the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The petition, is spearheaded by Sarah Kiyingi, the former state minister for Internal Affairs.
Kiyingi says that whereas she does not doubt the role MPs can play in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, she believes that the allocation is misplaced.
The petition is addressed to President Museveni, Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga, and Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda.
The petition has so far received 17,000 out of the 25,000 required signatures.
Kiyingi says in the petition that given the lockdown, MPs are unlikely to be effective mobilisers since most of them are not in their constituencies and their targeted constituents cannot be reached because of the social distancing guidelines that were issued by the government.
Kiyingi proposed that the money should be sent to the National COVID-19 Taskforce and the Ministry of Health which are the lead agencies in the fight against COVID-19.
Additional reporting by Uganda Radio Network (URN).