8-month-old baby among 14 Covid19 patients

0
240
Dr Mwebesa addressing press

An eight-month-old baby is among the five new cases of COVID-19 in Uganda confirmed by the ministry of Health.

The Minister of State for Primary Health Care, Dr. Joyce Moriku Kaducu on Wednesday said that two of the five cases are Chinese nationals who escaped from quarantine.

Addressing a press conference in Kampala, the Director General Health Services, Dr Henry G. Mwebesa, said the first case is of a 57-year-old man dealing in salt trade from Adjumani.

Records show that this man has not travelled out of the country before but goes to the Elegu border with South-Sudan for business.

The second case is that of a 63-year-old Ugandan, a resident of Najjanankumbi who travelled from Germany.

Victoria University

The third case is an eight-month-old baby in Iganga District whose father had travelled to Kisumu in Kenya.

The other two are those of Chinese nationals who are part of the six that escaped quarantine and tried to make their way to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

They were arrested, brought back and checked. Four tested negative while two tested positive just as they were about to be taken to court.

“Our capacity to receive calls from our people for help with the COVID-19 has increased and you will be able to get in touch with us due to our increased capacity,” Mwebesa told press.

Dr Mwebesa

To date, a total of 2,661 travellers including Ugandans identified 1,230 are under follow up, 764 are under institutional quarantine, 466 are under self-quarantine.

1,431 high risk travellers have completed their 14 days of follow up.

“Daily updates will also be uploaded on the information portal on https://covid19.gou.go.ug or the Ministry of Health website- http://health.go.ug.”

 “Following the declaration of the COVID-19 outbreak,we have increased the capacity of our call centre to handle more calls at the same time effective today. Call centre agents have been increased from 20 to 100 and will continue to work in shifts for 24 hours daily,” he noted.

“Following our appeal to all individuals who travelled from Dubai in the past 2 weeks, a total of 574 individuals have been listed countrywide.”

The ministry so far screened 60 travellers at Mulago National Specialized Hospital.

“We further direct all persons who travelled from Dubai in the past 2 weeks to come to Ward 2A at Mulago National Specialized Hospital (New Mulago) for assessment.”

Loading...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here