President Museveni has spoken out on an Al Shabaab attack Sunday in Somalia which left several Ugandan troops dead and others severely injured.
“On Easter Sunday our soldiers in Somalia heroically gave serious blows to Al-Shabaab, killing 36 of them and destroying six vehicles full of explosives. This was because they were alert,” Museveni said.
The president said two vehicles of the enemy entered one of the three sites attacked.
“One vehicle was detonated and killed eight of our soldiers. May their souls rest in eternal peace.”
While extending his condolences to their families, Museveni said it was gratifying, however, that the bold but adventurous strategy of Al-Shabaab failed.
“With constant vigilance, victory is assured. I congratulate our soldiers for the good work, the death of eight of our soldiers notwithstanding.”
Army spokesperson, Brig Richard Karemire, had earlier said the militants killed four UPDF soldiers and injured six others while Amisom troops killed 30 terrorists on the attack at AMISOM Forward Operating Bases at Quoroyole, Buulo Mareer and Golwen in Lower Shabelle Region of Somalia.
“Eight of their vehicles that included two Vehicle Born Improvised Explosives were destroyed. 4 PK Rifless, 2 Rocket Propelled Guns,2 Recoilless Guns,1 Walkie Talkie and 18 Sub Machine Gun Rifles.”
On Tuesday, Karemire said cancelled reports claiming the terrorists would attack Kampala.”
“This is indeed regrettable and we as UPDF assure the public that Kampala is safe and we shall continue to work with other security agencies to ensure that Kampala and Uganda at large are safe and secure.”
He added: “We also stand by the figures earlier released that 4 soldiers were lost with 6 injured.”