The Speaker of Parliament, Rebecca Kadaga, has tasked the Minister of Education to establish whether there is a possibility for Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) providing supplementary examinations for candidates whose exams were suspended or withheld.
Rubaga North Division MP Hon. Moses Kasibante had on Thursday 8th February 2018 informed Parliament that UNEB withheld the results of 4,525 candidates who had sat for the UCE examinations in 2017.
Kasibante noted that the results had been withheld due to examination malpractices. The Rubaga North MP also wondered as to why UNEB went ahead to administer the exams if they had been leaked, citing an exam question paper that was posted on social media platforms such as Facebook and WhatsApp, prior to the exams period.
“Does Government have an arrangement to cater for these children who have fallen victim to exam malpractices by some institutions so that they don’t repeat a whole year of study? Universities have an option of retakes, the ministry can pick on such an idea,” said Hon. Kasibante.
During the release of the 2017 UCE exam results on Wednesday, Minister for Education and Sports Hon. Janet Museveni, in a speech read for her by the Minister for Higher Education, John Chrysostom Muyingo, noted the danger exam malpractices could pose to the country’s education system.
“Examination malpractice is like a cancer, which if not dealt with, will spread and destroy our education system,” said Mrs Museveni, adding that “We must protect the integrity of our exams if we are to be globally competitive.”
Sixty schools have had their results withheld with Nile High School in Luuka district having the highest number of candidates at 257, and Kisugu Mixed SS Busunju in Mityana having the least number of candidates at 23.