Another Rwandan arrested after CMI tortures Gatsinzi

Fidele Gatsinzi

Another Rwandan national is reported to have been grabbed and whisked away by security forces in Mbarara town.

The victim identified as Emmanuel Cyemayire who owns a shop in Mbarara town was arrested on Friday.

Cyemayire’s wife reported a case of a missing person at Mbarara Police Station.

The incident happened on the same day Uganda’s foreign minister Sam Kutesa was meeting Rwandan President Paul Kagame in Kigali.

According to Rwanda’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Louise Mushikiwabo, Kutesa and Kagame discussed the state of bilateral relations, including continuing arrests and disappearances of Rwandan citizens in Uganda, causing tension.

Many Rwandan families have been petitioning their government to intervene for their loved ones.

CMI tortures Gatsinzi

At the close of last year, Fidele Gatsinzi, a Rwandan resident accused Uganda’s Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence [CMI] of illegally arresting and torturing him for almost two weeks.

Gatsinzi says he was arrested on December 9 at a supermarket in Ntinda and detained incommunicado for 12 days.

Fidele Gatsinzi

When he returned to Kigali following his release, he was using a wheelchair as he couldn’t walk freely due to injuries allegedly sustained from torture.

Gatsinzi had come to Kampala to visit his son who studies at Uganda Christian University in Mukono.

Upon arrival in Kampala, he was kidnapped by two Rwandan fugitives linked to Kayumba Nyamwasa’s Rwanda National Congress (RNC).

He claims he was tortured for allegedly mobilising Rwandan refugees in Uganda to return home under the national program of “Come and See”.

Nyamwasa is a former head of Rwandan army who fell out with Kigali and sought asylum in South Africa.

On September 23, 2017, three Rwandans: James Bayingana, Ali Nsekanabo Lando, Vianney Byaruhanga Nduwamungu were arrested from Bukasa and detained in Mbuya, Kampala, till their release in November.

On December 29, 45 Rwandan nationals, who had reportedly been arrested in Kikagati, Isingiro, crossing from Tanzania into Uganda, were charged in the High Court in Mbarara with terrorism, establishment of a terrorism institution and forgery, after two weeks of detention at the notorious Nalufenya detention centre.