Two United Nations peacekeepers have been killed and several injured in an attack on their base in North Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), a UN spokesperson said.
“The injured peacekeepers have been evacuated to Goma for medical assistance,” said spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric at the regular news briefing at UN Headquarters, in New York.
The attack was carried out Sunday morning (local time) by suspected Allied Democratic Forces in Mamundioma, some 1,700 kilometres east of the capital, Kinshasa.
According to the UN Spokesperson, the Organization’s Stabilization Mission in the DRC (known by its French acronym, MONUSCO) has deployed attack helicopters as well as the Force Intervention Brigade in support of operations and to reinforce its presence.
It also deployed forces on the road between Kamango and Mbau to restore order and protect the populations of these towns.
Mamundioma was also the site of an attack on UN peacekeepers last month in which one UN peacekeeper from Tanzania was killed and another injured.
The Secretary-General strongly condemned a series of attacks attributed to the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) in the North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which resulted in the death of two peacekeepers from the United Republic of Tanzania.
Eighteen peacekeepers were injured during the incident.
The Secretary-General offered his condolences to the friends and families of the deceased, as well as to the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania. He wished a speedy recovery to those injured.
The Secretary-General urged the Congolese authorities to swiftly investigate these incidents and bring the perpetrators to justice.
The Secretary-General once again called on all armed groups in the country to lay down their weapons and notes that attacks targeting peacekeepers may constitute war crimes under international law.