Kenya: woman gives birth lining up, man dies after voting

The long lines

Some Kenyans braced long queues, others rain and chilly weather, but one woman gave birth Tuesday while in line to vote in general elections and still made sure to vote.

A heavily pregnant Paulina Chemanang was feeling fine as she left to vote early at a polling station in remote West Pokot country, she told local radio Capital FM.

“I had no labour pains, and they just came as soon as I arrived here. I was not feeling anything since yesterday,” she said.

Shortly after she arrived, she went into labour, and, with the assistance of bystanders, gave birth to a baby girl while still at the polling station.

After a trip to a local health clinic, she returned and cast her ballot.

Victoria University

“Now I am happy, because I have given birth and I have voted,” she told the radio station. “Having given birth at a polling station is a blessing to me and I thank God.”

Man dies after voting

Meanwhile, Daily Nation reports that a man collapsed and died after casting his vote at Lela Primary School polling station in Kisumu County.

The man, identified as Patrick Atindo was taken to Ahero Sub-County Hospital on Tuesday morning after complaining of chest pains.

Patrick Wame Atinda, 64 in a past photo

His son, Silvanus Ouma, told that his father woke up 5am in the morning very energetic to participate in the General Election.

“He woke up in good health and went to Lela where he voted. He collapsed as he was going to the shade to take a rest,” said Mr Ouma.

Mr Ouma said medical attendants at Ahero carried a series of tests on the victim but could not identify what he suffered from.

“As were waiting for the results outside we got the news that our father was no more,” he said.

Mary Atinda, the man’s wife, said that she had accompanied her husband to the polling station to vote.

“We were in different polling rooms. I finished earlier and left him in line waiting to vote, only to be called later and told that he had collapsed,” said Mrs Atinda.

The body of the 64-year-old man was moved to Ahero Sub-County Hospital mortuary awaiting mortem.

Source: AFP/Daily Nation



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here