Kadaga furious at MPs over ‘tortured’ UPDF soldier press briefing  

Lt John Junior Mware at work before he was allegedly tortured. PHOTO BY COLLEB MUGUME

The Rt. Hon. Speaker of Parliament, Rebecca Kadaga, has dismissed as untrue reports that security agencies arrested a UPDF officer at the precincts of Parliament.

Legislators on Tuesday claimed that John Mwale, a UPDF officer, who was at Parliament to visit the Speaker, was arrested. Mwale claimed that he had been arrested and tortured by the army.

Hon. Luttamaguzi Ssemakula (DP, Nakaseke South) said that the officer had met him and had advised that he puts his complaints in a petition and have it presented to the Speaker.

Members were debating reports of the Human Rights Committee about alleged torture of suspects and detainees in Nalufenya detention facility. MPs condemned the torture reported at Police stations and detention facilities.

The Speaker instructed the Commandant of Parliament Police to furnish her with a report about what happened to Mwale.

Victoria University

The Speaker said during Wednesday’s plenary that Mwale had been in Parliament, had breakfast in the Parliament Restaurant and even addressed a press conference with the Nakaseke South legislator.

“He addressed a press conference and spent a lot of the time in Parliament Building. He exited Parliament Building at 2.00pm. I have pictures of him walking freely, on the bridge, in the corridors and on the steps of the North Wing,” said Kadaga.

The Speaker gave times at which the said officer walked into Parliament Building, what he did, where he went until he left the Building, as recorded by the CCTV cameras.

“Members, not anyone can address a press conference here, if this happens again, I will discipline you for breaching the Parliament Rules,” added the Speaker.

The Speaker said that Mwale was in the Parliament Building without her “knowledge or authority.”

“It is not true that he was arrested in Parliament,” she said.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here